So here’s to a beginning. I have been wanting to write for a while but haven’t been able to pull together the words as to all that I have been feeling and learning. It has been on my heart to share some of my experiences that have truly shaped me to be the person I am. It has pressed on me to share about some of my darkest times and how I was carried through. This blog is dedicated to the Lord, the very one who carries my world.

Saturday, June 11, 2016

Together Again


Things were growing darker now. In a way I never saw coming. My security had been removed, and in an instant, I was forced to throw away all preconceived notions of those admitted to psychiatric wards, as the person I admired most was now one of them. Terrified, I wondered what it all meant. I knew we had somehow entered into a new depth of darkness, and I wasn’t sure we would ever find a way out. If there was one.

A somber presence had come over the ranch. I watched my mom, weary and worn, retire to bed early. There was an unmistakable sadness that had come over her soft blue eyes. I hated seeing her this way. I wanted to somehow make things better for her. But I kept my distance, afraid that even gentle tugging at her heart would lead to her undoing. I knew she needed to be strong now. We both did.
I tried to quiet my busy mind as I laid my head on my pillow that first night. The house was silent, as if it felt the loss, knowing he wasn’t there, knowing something was not right. I pulled the covers over myself and exhaled. As much as it hurt to have him gone, a small part of me was relieved in knowing he was safe. So many nights I had worried. So many nights I had prayed for God to make him better. Now, there were more to care for him. More to look out for him. I hoped I could trust them, his doctors and nurses. I hoped they were kind to him and not callous. I hoped he would come back to us. All of him.
I knew it was bad. He had admitted himself. I knew how he despised doctors. He avoided going until he absolutely had to. I knew weekly meetings at the VA had been hard for him. I knew his doctors had been wanting to admit him for some time. But he refused. Several times. He had to work. He had to provide for his family. He was driven more than anyone I knew by this responsibility. And so, hearing he had chosen this himself was both revealing and heart breaking.
He needed to be better so he could provide for his family.
That was his motivation for admission.
Throwing himself on the fire, for us.
To get himself better.
Or at least try.
He was still my hero.
The following morning, we made what would be the first of many visits to the psych ward at the VA Hospital. I was surprised in noting how nervous I was on that first day. I tried to calm my racing heart, not knowing what to expect, what kind of shape he would be in. Would he be crying? Would he be angry and shout? Would he be out of it? Would he be able to speak at all? Would he be different from the person I knew? I wasn’t sure what ‘losing it’ actually entailed. He had been the one to comfort me my whole life, so seeing him in such a vulnerable place was unnerving. I didn’t know how to behave, so I nervously decided to let my mom do the talking.
As we walked through the hospital, I saw many men in wheelchairs, missing limbs. There weren’t many smiles as we made our way toward the elevators. The hospital, while known for its good care of the veterans, was rundown and dreary. I tried not to let its dismal appearance affect me. I tried to be hopeful as we made our way toward the grey elevators. In silence and nervous anticipation, we scaled the floors of the hospital, as the psych ward was on top. I braced myself as the elevator doors opened.
We anxiously walked down a short hallway and were immediately greeted by a man with a kind smile seated at a desk. We introduced ourselves, and he graciously opened the locked door for us, telling us my dad had been in the common room. As we made our way past the gate, I noted a gathering of men, lining up to each receive a medicine cup full of pills. I wondered what kind of pills were in those cups. I wondered if they were the same kind of pills I had seen my dad take. I wondered if these men would soon be ‘out of it’ as he had. I hated psych meds. So little was known about the brain. Such seemingly rudimentary treatments for those with diseases of the brain. It felt unfair. Unfair to see him suffer in this way with so few options for relief.
I knew as an outpatient his psychiatrist had even mentioned electroconvulsive therapy, or ECT, as a possible treatment option. ECT is a procedure, done under general anesthesia, in which small electric currents are passed through the brain, intentionally triggering a brief seizure in an effort to change brain chemistry and hopefully reverse symptoms of mental illness. The trouble was that it was extremely risky, leaving many with permanent short term memory loss.
Tranquilizing medications. Or literally shocking the brain.
These were the available options.
How was this possible? It seemed like a cruel joke. More, how was this happening to my happy and easy-going dad? He couldn’t be broken. This was not allowed. We needed him. Didn’t God know that we needed him?
As we entered the common area I was relieved in seeing my dad. He sat with his legs crossed as he always did, sitting in a chair and talking to the man next to him. There were several others in this room filled with books, board games and cards. Two men were playing cards. Another man was seated by himself staring ahead silently. I tried not to make eye contact. My dad greeted us with a hug. We sat with him there for a while. I didn’t know what to say. But I was relieved to see him. I knew things weren’t even close to normal.
But somehow they were better.
Just being together again.

No comments:

Post a Comment